Assistant Professor, Construction Management
Degrees and Professional Registration:
- Doctor in Construction Education, Clemson University, SC 2007
- Master in Construction Science and Management, Clemson University, SC, 2005
- B.S. in Construction Engineering, Xi'an University of Arch. & Tech., China, 1997
- Composite Materials: cellulose fiber based composites material synthesis and testing. Fiber-matrix interface adhesion characterization and testing
- Thermoelectric Materials: nanocomposites/ semiconductors for high temperature thermoelectric applications to convert waste heat energy for power generation
- Energy Efficient Building Systems and Technology: Integration of renewable energy (Photovoltaic and Thermoelectric) into building envelopes for energy harvesting, building energy consumption analysis, energy efficient building technology.
Other Professional Appointments:
- Assistant professor in Construction Management, Roger Williams University, RI , 2007-2009
- Teaching Assistant, Clemson University, SC, 2004-2007
- Visiting Researcher, Japanese Construction Safety & Health Association, Tokyo, Japan, 2002-2003
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Xi’an University of Arch. & Tech. 1997-2003
- American Society of Composites, Member
- American Society of Civil Engineering, Member
- American Society of Engineering Education, Member
Recent Grant Awards:
- PI, “NSF I-Corps: High Performance Natural Fiber Composites for Civil Construction Applications”, National Science Foundation, $50,000, 10/01/2012-30/04/2013.
- PI, “Improve Light Weight Gypsum Board Nail Pull Performance”, National Gypsum Corporation, $38,868, 05/16/2012-09/15/2012
- “Net-zero Energy OperatorNet-Zero building operator training program, Co-PI, Department of Energy, 08/15/10-08/14/12, $589,843.
- “Engineering Load-bearing Natural Fiber Green Composite with Reclaimed HDPE Matrix”, PI, UNC Charlotte, NSF ADVANCE Program, 01/15/2010-06/30/2011, $6600.
- “Energy Harvesting through GaN-based Thermoelectric Materials & Devices”, Co-PI, Energy Production Infrastructure Center (EPIC), 01/15/2010-01/14/2011, $25,000
- N. Lu, & I. Ferguson (2013), “III-Nitrides for Energy Production: Photovoltaic and Thermoelectric Applications”, Semiconductor Science and Technology, Invited Review Article, 28 (2013) 457473.
- N. Lu & S. Oza (2013): “Effect of Surface Functionalization of Hemp Fibers on the Thermal Stability of the Hemp-PLA Composites for Construction Applications”, Advanced Material Research, 651 (2013) 499-504.
- N. Lu & S. Bhogaiah (2013) “Thermal and Thermo-mechanical Properties of Hemp-High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Composite- Effect of Two Different Surface Modification”, Composites Part B: Engineering, 44 (2013) 484-490.
- N. Lu & S. Oza. (2013) “A Comparative Study of Mechanical Strength and Interface Properties of Hemp Fiber Composites with Virgin and Recycled High Density Polyethylene Matrix”, Composites Part B: Engineering, 45 (2013) 1651-1656.
- T. Tong, D. Fu, A. Levander, W. Schaff, B. Pantha, N. Lu, B. Liu, I. Ferguson, D. Cahill (2013), “Suppression of Thermal Conductivity in InGaN Alloys by Nanometer-scale Disorder”, Applied Physics Letters, 102 (2013) 121906.
- Z. Liu, A. Melton, X. Yi, J. Wang, B. Kucukgok, J. Kang, N. Lu, J. Wang, J. Li and I. Ferguson (2013) “Design of Shallow Acceptors in GaN through Zinc-Magnium Codoping: First Principle Calculation”, Applied Physics Express, 6 (2013) 042104.
- S. Oza, I. Ferguson, N. Lu (2013) “ A Study of Activation Energy of Different Surface Treatment and their Effect on Thermal Stability of Natural Fiber Composites”, Composite A: Science; In Review
- N. Lu & T. Korman (2013) “Engineering Sustainable Construction Material: Hemp Fiber Reinforced Composite with Recycled High Density Polyethylene Matrix”, ASCE Journal of Architecture Engineering, 19(3), (2013), 204-208.
- N. Lu, S. Bhogaiah & I. Ferguson (2012) “Effect of Alkali and Silane Treatment on the Thermal Stability of Hemp Fibers as Reinforcement in Composite Structures”, Advanced Materials Research, 415-417 (2012) 666-670.
- N. Lu & S. Oza (2012) “Thermal Properties of Hemp-High Density Polyetheylene Composites: Effect of Two Different Chemical Treatments”, Materials Processing and Interfaces, Volume 1 (ed TMS), DOI:10.1002/9781118356074.ch49.
- Z. Liu, J.Ma, X. Yi, E. Guo, L. Wang, J. Wang, N. Lu, J, Lu, I. Ferguson & A. Melton (2012) “p-InGaN/AlGaN electron blocking layer for InGaN/GaN blue light-emitting diodes”, Applied Physics Letters, 101(2012) 261106.
- Z. Liu, X.Yi, J. Wang, J.Kang, A. Melton, Y.Shi, N. Lu & I. Ferguson (2012) “Ferromagnetism and Its Stability in n-type Gd-doped GaN: First-principles calculation”, Applied Physics Letters, 100 (2012) 232408.
- N. Lu (2011) “A Study of Surface Morphology and Flexural Strength of Hemp Fiber Reinforced Composite with Recycled High Density Polyethylene Matrix”, Journal of Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 71-78 (2011), pp4416-4420.
- N. Lu & S. M. Bhogaiah (2011) “Effect of Physical and Chemical Surface Treatment on the Thermal Stability of Hemp Fibers as Reinforcement in Composite Structures”, Journal of Applied Mechanics and Materials, 71-78 (2011), 616-620.
- S. Bhogaiah, R. Wang & N. Lu (2011) “Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Recycled High Density Polyethylene/hemp Fiber Composites, International of Journal of Applied Science and Technology, Vol. 1, No.5, pp31-35
- N. Lu, R. Swan & I. Ferguson (2011) “Composition, Structure and Mechanical Strength of Hemp Fiber Reinforced Composite with Recycled High Density Polyethylene Matrix”, Journal of Composite Materials, 46(16), 1915-1924.
- E. Hurwitz, M. Asghar, A. Melton, B. Kucukgok, L. Su, M. Jamil, N. Lu & I. Ferguson (2011), “Thermopower Study of GaN-Based Materials for Next Generation Thermoelectric Devices and Applications”, Journal of Electronic Materials, volume 40, Issue 5, pp 513-517.
- N. Lu, R. Liska, (2008) “The Designers’ and General Contractors’ Perceptions of Offsite Construction Techniques in the United States Construction Industry”, International Journal of Construction Education and Research, Vol 4, No. 3, pp1-13.
Honors and Awards:
- Phi Beta Delta Honor Society for International Scholars, 2010
- National Science Foundation ADVANCE Fellowship Award, 2010
- Provost Funds for Undergraduate Research Awards, Roger Williams University, 2009
- Japanese Construction Ministry Research Fellowship Awards, 2003
- N. Lu, “Large scale production of hemp fiber reinforced composite with recycled high density polyethylene (HDPE)”, Patent Pending, US Patent filing No. 61/386,808
- N. Lu, “ Hemp fiber reinforced composites with recycled high density polyethylene (HDPE) matrix”, Patent Pending, US Patent filing No. 61/375, 331
- R. Tsu, N. Lu, J. Hudak, “Graphene-based supperlattice nanocomposite”, Patent Pending, US patent filing No. 61/305,586